lunes, 26 de noviembre de 2012

Christmas socks

Today I want to share with you a very special project I am collaborating with. It is something tiny that can make many children happy on Christmas day.

Sylvia is one of my virtual friends, virtual because we haven't met yet face to face, but real because I feel very close to her. We met through our share passion, photography and I have been following all her travels and life in Oxford (England).

Due to her job, she spends many hours in the hospital and watching how the children with cancer spent their time there, she decided to start a NGO for making their life happier.

Her proyect is very simple but very effective. During the year, Sylvia sews colorful pillowcases that afterwards are donated to the hospital. This way every child that comes in can choose his (or her) very own pillowcase. A special one only for themselves that transforms their bed in whatever they want to imagine.

Lilly's pillowcase
Picture from Sylvia Rueda
This is Lilly's pillow. Lilly was the first little girl that chose her own pillowcase in John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford.

I have already told you that I do not know how to sew, so this project is quite enormous for me and I haven't collaborate with her yet.

But Sylvia decided 3 years ago to do something on top. She started making Christmas socks for all the children spending Christmas night at the hospital. The nurses used to put little presents in every child's bed, but they didn't have enough socks for everybody and children couldn't keep the socks after Christmas as the nurses needed them for the following year.

And there was when I joined her. She prepared a tutorial for people like me, without any skills on sewing and with thread and needle (and some glue, I admit it) last year three socks were sent from Finland destination three kids in Oxford Hospital.

IMG_1441f

This year I have already started and although I am still really bad with the needle, I am happy thinking that any little kid will choose our socks and will dream about the things that Santa Claus will let him there.

The project made me so happy, that this year I have decided to share it with the people I know, trying that every little child will have his own sock this Christmas.

edina

Last Tuesday, a group of people of my work place gave me my  "happy moment", joining together to sew some socks for Sylvia's kids.

helena

And now I want to invite you. Because it is fun, it can be made alone, with your kids or with your friends and the most important of all, it will male many children happy on Christmas Eve.

If you are like me and you don't know how to use a needle, Sylvia explains how to do it  here y here. It is in Spanish but I am translating now for you and I will update this post with the new links.

Socks can be also made of crochet or knitted, just let your creativity and imagination fly.

For sending them to Sylvia, just let a comment in this post with your e-mail address and she will send you an e-mail back with all the instructions.

And if you know any other organisation that makes this kind of projects, just let a comment in this post. I am sure that together we can make a better Christmas for many children around us.

tree

Do you want to join us?



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario